Your commercial property needs a new roof, and you're deciding which option is best. Several choices are available, but for many property owners and companies, rubber roofing is ideal because of its value and durability.
If you're deciding whether to choose a rubber roof or another product, you should understand the advantages of rubber roofing and how to care for your investment. Here are a few simple tips that can help you protect and care for your rubber roof.
Choose a Rubber Roof
Can't decide if a rubber roofing system is the best choice for your needs and budget? Here are a few of the many advantages of rubber roofing that can help you make a final decision:
- Environmentally-friendly. Otherwise known as EDPM, or ethylene propylene diene terpolymer, rubber roofing is made from recyclable materials. In addition to saving money on installation and repairs, you'll also be saving the environment.
- Reduced cooling costs. If you're tired of paying a small fortune to keep your commercial property cool, rubber roofing is a great option. The roofing system reflects heat, which keeps the building nice and cool in the summer.
- Naturally waterproof. When installed correctly, EDPM is waterproof.
- Long lasting. If you care for it correctly, your rubber roofing system will last anywhere from 30 to 50 years.
Keep Your Rubber Roof Clean
Your rubber roof is durable, but it is not impervious to damage. Keep your rubber roof clean to protect it from damage. Although rubber roofing is easy to repair, it is still better for the integrity of the system to prevent tears or holes. Here are a few things you should do to keep your commercial rubber roof clean:
- Trim back any tree branches. Keep your rubber roof free of debris by trimming back any overhanging tree branches.
- Keep people off the roof. Only allow necessary personnel on the roof. This includes professional who are maintaining or repairing the rubber.
- Keep the roof clean. Hire a professional to have your roof cleaned. If your roof is in a wooded area, the roof might need to be cleaned more often. A professional has the correct tools and experience to clean the roof without causing any damage.
If your commercial building is smaller or it is easy to safely access the roof, you might consider cleaning it yourself. To perform a thorough cleaning, you will need a broom, biodegradable cleaning solution, a mop, a bucket, and a pressure washer.
Start by sweeping off any dirt or other debris. Next, begin cleaning in the center of the roof and work your way to the edges, which should be cleaned while you are on a ladder.
Watch for Damage
Once again, your rubber roof can become damaged by falling limbs and weather. Keep an eye on your roof and pinpoint any damage as quickly as possible after it occurred. In addition to noticeable tears and holes, there are other types of damage you need to watch out for.
For example, pay attention to the flashings around any pipes and chimneys. Look for cracks in the rubber or missing pieces. Pay attention to the seams and watch for any splitting or curling.
If you notice any type of damage, contact a professional immediately to have the problem corrected. In addition to making the damage even worse, waiting to have the roofing material repaired could cause serious water damage to the building.
Schedule a Yearly Inspection
The best way to extend the life of your commercial rubber roofing system is to have it inspected at least once a year. A professional has the skills, tools, and experience necessary to identify any minor damage before they become major issues.
For instance, your rubber roofing system is fitted with a protective coating. If this coating has any damage or if it was applied improperly, it cannot provide the proper amount of protection. The professional will also look for any leaks or wear. If people walk on the roof too often, it can easily become worn and will require upkeep.
If you have any existing rubber roofing system on your commercial property and it is several years old, a professional can also tell you when it is time to have it upgraded. Often, one of the clearest signs you need to have your rubber roof replaced is if there are several holes or there is severe water damage inside your property.
If you are a commercial property owner, having a rubber roofing system installed is a great way to protect your investment. If you have any further questions about rubber roofing systems, including how to maintain them, contact the professionals at Moriarty Roofing and Sheet Metal.